We haven't had a chance to dig our own ramps yet, but our good friend Jenny gave us some last weekend. Here's an awesome ramp soup recipe Cindy just came up with.
- 3 Tbls unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cups sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 ramp bulbs, finely chopped (about 2 Tbls), greens reserved
- 6 Tbls flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbls vermouth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (about 8 ounces)
- 2 Tbls ramp greens, minced
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch crushed red pepper
- pinch salt
In a heavy bottom soup pot, combine butter, onion, crushed red pepper, salt and ramp bulbs. Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until soft. Stir in flour and cook 2 more minutes. Add 1/4 cup vermouth and cook 1 more minute. Stir in chicken broth and bay leaf and simmer for 15 minutes. Whisk in cream, cheese and ramp greens. Continue whisking and warming without boiling for about 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste with cayenne pepper, salt and vermouth. Warm a few more minutes and serve.